Older homes often have windows that are just as old. For a homeowner’s windows that are at least 15-30 years old, they should consider Window Replacement in St. Louis MO. Replacing a window or multiple windows comes with its many advantages and there are multiple reasons that one should consider replacing them.
Reasons to Replace a Window
- Poor efficiency. A poor efficient window can account for 10 to 25 percent of the home’s high heating bills.
- Unattractive, faded or appear outdated. Having an updated window can add curb appeal to the home and help with the resale value. New windows are also much easier to clean than those that are outdated.
- The windows are bowed or cracked. A cracked or bowed window can create pockets of air infiltration.
- The windows leak water during a rain or snow storm.
- The windows accumulate condensation or frost in between the window panes.
There are a variety of windows to choose from. Following is a list of common window types.
- Horizontal Sliders. Windows that feature sashes that open and close by sliding back and forth on a track that is located within the window.
- Double Hung. The most common type of window is the double hung. Double hung windows have two panes of glass suspended in frames that slightly overlap one another. The panes moe vertically within the window frame.
- Awning. Awning windows are windows that are hinged at the top, allowing them to open in an outward direction from the bottom.
- Bay/Bow Windows. Bay windows also referred to as bow windows, are made of a framed structure that protrudes from an exterior of a home.
- Fixed Windows. A fixed window cannot be opened and is used for letting in large amounts of light.
- Wood. This is one of the oldest building materials available. Wooden windows are known for their resistance to transferring heat or cold.
- Clad Wood. Windows made with a wooden interior that is highly durable on the exterior.
- Fiberglass. Fiberglass windows are extremely durable and have a better heat transfer than wood or vinyl frames.
Window Replacement in St. Louis MO is an effective way to improve the home aesthetically as well as efficiently. It is important to select a window replacement contractor with care to ensure the windows will be installed correctly.