Termites can do a great amount of expensive damage to your home’s foundation. And the worst part is that they can do a lot of damage before you even realize they are on the premises.
What are Termites?
Termites are tiny, soft-bodied, pale insects that make their home in large colonies deep inside the earth. They feed on wood and timber and can be destructive to your home if they make their way inside.
There are a few signs that you can look for if you suspect there are termites in your home. These include:
- The discovery of termite shelter tubes and subterranean tunnels.
- Tiny holes in trees on your property
- Termite noises
- The presence of wings and termite frass around the home
- Hollow wood or sagging floors
If you notice any of these signs, it would be in your best interest to contact a professional as soon as possible. The longer that you wait, the more expensive the damage will be.
Are Termites Harmful to Humans?
Termites are not necessarily harmful to humans. They can bite or sting, but they are not poisonous. Termites are also not known to carry diseases. However, they have been known to cause issues with individuals who have asthma or allergic reactions. Some people have been known to be allergic to termite droppings.
How to Prevent Them?
There are a few things that you can do to help prevent termites from entering your home or prevent them from causing an excessive amount of damage.
- Recognize the signs of a termite infestation. This can include dead termites, wings, or droppings.
- Examine the wood in your home for small holes or sawdust matter also known as frass.
- Look for damaged paint that appears cracked or bubbled.
- Inspect your home’s foundation or crawl spaces for termites.
When to Contact an Expert in Termite Control
Termites are some of the worst pests that can enter your home. You should always contact a professional exterminator when you start to notice signs of termites on your property.
Don’t wait until it’s too late to get help with this issue. Even if don’t have much evidence that termites are present, you can always have termite control team like those at Viking Pest Control to come out and do a full inspection. Doing so could help save you hundreds of dollars on repairs to your home’s foundation. Get in touch with Viking Pest Control today for more information.