You work hard all year long and vacations are well-earned for both you and your family. Whether you go across the state line or across the ocean, your home can be kept safe from natural disasters and would-be thieves by investing in one of the many quality home alarm systems in Chicago, or your local area.
If you’re going to be away for more than a few days, here are some tips on how to keep your home safe:
* Have a neighbor or friend check on things: Have someone pick up your mail, feed your pets if you have any and check the perimeter of your home for the duration of your absence. Make sure they have all of your travel information and emergency numbers in case they need to contact you.
* Protect your pipes: If you live in a cold climate and you’re travelling in winter, make sure to wrap your indoor plumbing pipes in towels or insulation to prevent them from freezing and bursting.
* Use timers: Use a set of timers for your indoor and outdoor lighting to make it look like there is activity around the property.
* Unplug appliances: Unplug your microwave, toaster, television and other small appliances to prevent fire.
* Arm your surveillance system: Your security system should be armed while you’re away. If you do have someone coming to check on your home, make sure they have all the proper codes to prevent a false alarm.
With advancements in today’s technology, home alarm systems in Chicago and other areas are more sophisticated than ever. You can monitor the system from your location, arm and disarm the system and even provide temperature control when you’re away. These systems are not as expensive as you may think. Don’t think of an alarm system as just another bill that you have to pay. This of it as investing in the safety of your family. Contact www.alertprotective.com for more information.