A kitchen renovation in Pittsburgh can be one of the most rewarding renovation projects in your entire home – and one of the most stressful! No matter what the scope of the project, you are going to be inconvenienced in one way or another. But there are some things you can do ease the burden and lessen the stress and mess. Follow these tips to keep you and your family from going completely crazy during your kitchen renovation:
* Set up a temporary kitchen: If possible, move your fridge, coffee maker, microwave, toaster oven, and other essential appliances to a separate part of the house. If you can’t move your fridge, try getting a smaller bar fridge.
* Find a different place to eat: If you have a dining room you can eat all of your meals there; some people eat in the family room or living room. Normally, it’s not a good idea to eat while watching TV, but in the middle of a renovation, it can be a very relaxing activity.
* Invest in disposable plates and utensils: If you don’t have access to the kitchen sink, you’ll have to do dishes in the bathroom sink, so make sure you have a stockpile of disposable plates, bowls and utensils on hand. You could also choose to eat out more often; if you do this, though, add this cost into the budget of your renovation.
* Prepare for dust and noise: Get used to the fact that you are going to be in the midst of a lot of noise and dust while the project is ongoing. If you know it will bother you, plan to spend more time outside of your house.
* Consider your pets: If your pets are used to having the run of the house they are going to be confused by all of a sudden being banished from the kitchen. For their safety, you may want to have them go to a friend’s or to a kennel for the duration of the project.
Visit Patete Kitchens to speak with a kitchen contractor in Pittsburgh for your next kitchen renovation project.